In Genesis 1:26, we are let in on a conversation that took place between the members of the Trinity.
“Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” (Gen. 1:26a)
If you think about it, this is an amazing text because it tells us that we were actually designed and created by God. He actually thought about us, planned out what we would be like, and then He created us. When He created us, He didn’t create us like the other animals. No, we are distinct from all other living things because we are created in God’s image, in His likeness.
As creatures created in His likeness, there are several things we should be doing.
3 Things Those Created in God’s Image Should be Doing
(1) We are to reflect His image and likeness to the world.
In other words, we are to shine forth God’s characteristics to the world. Love, faithfulness, justice, wisdom, and more should characterize our lives, just as it characterizes God’s.
(2) We are to act as His representatives.
If you have ever traveled to another country, you know that the American Embassy can come in handy, especially if you lose your passport or get into trouble in another country.
While embassies and the ambassadors posted there can come in handy for travelers, they aren’t just there to assist travelers to the region. They have a much more important job of representing the US and its interests, while at the same time working to gain and maintain diplomatic relationships with the foreign government.
Just as the US and other countries appoint ambassadors, God has appointed us as His ambassadors or representatives on this earth. To that end, Paul in 2 Corinthians 5:20 says,
“Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.” (2 Co 5:20)
As His ambassadors, we are to carry His message of redemption and reconciliation to the world.
(3) We are to exercise dominion, working to bring order and beauty to God’s creation.
Along with carrying His message of redemption and reconciliation to the world, as His representatives, we are also to exercise dominion over the earth (Gen. 1:28-30). He gives us that right so that we might bring order and beauty out of chaos.
We can bring order and beauty out of chaos in many different ways.
- By keeping our yards, tending the garden, or working the farm, we are bringing order and beauty out of chaos.
- By creating technologies such as airplanes, cars, and computers, we are bringing order and beauty out of chaos.
- By planning and developing neighborhoods and cities, we bring order and beauty out of chaos.
- By loving our neighbor, caring for the sick and poor, and leading our families in a godly way, we are bringing order and beauty out of chaos.
- By evangelizing, along with preaching and teaching God’s Word, we are bringing order and beauty out of chaos.
- We also bring order and beauty out of chaos when we work for the shalom of the city (Jeremiah 29:7).
In all these ways and more we can push back the chaos and bring order and beauty to this world.
While there are other things that we are to as those created in God’s image, these are three that we can do each and every day.
Question for Reflection
- Do you find yourself working to do these three things?
Post developed from my sermon: Creation and Kingdom