Over the next several weeks we are going to follow the story line of Scripture from Creation to Jesus’ return in an effort to deepen our understanding of the Gospel and how Christians are to live after they have professed Christ as Lord and Savior. (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5)
What do those who profess Jesus as their Savior believe?
When you profess Him as Savior, you are saying you believe several things:
- You believe if it weren’t for Jesus and His death on the cross, you would receive punishment for your sins — When Jesus dies on the cross, He is punished in your place.
- You believe you can’t save yourself — There is nothing you can do. No amount of good works (service, helping others, living right) will ever be able to pay for your sins.
- You believe you are not good enough to have a relationship with God — You are a sinner whose sin hinders your relationship with God. We can only have a relationship with God through our belief in Jesus.
- You believe you are a sinner who must turn from (repent) of your sin — Christians don’t continue to live a life of sin. Instead they turn from their sin and try to live like Jesus.
- You believe nothing else is needed for salvation but belief in Jesus as your Lord and Savior — All that is required of you to be saved is to believe Jesus is your Lord and Savior. There is nothing else we must do in order to be saved.
- You believe your salvation is a gift — You did nothing to earn your salvation. God gave you the faith to believe in Jesus as your Savior, which means your salvation was a gift from God.
- Do we need to do anything more than believe Jesus is our Lord and Savior to be saved?
- What would happen to us if we did not believe Jesus was our Savior?
- Do you believe Christians should live differently after they have professed Jesus as their Savior?
- Do you believe salvation can be earned?
Some posts’ structure influenced by Big Truths for Young Hearts by Bruce Ware
One thought on “The Gospel and the Christian Life – Part 6”
Pingback: The Gospel and the Christian Life – Part 7 | Christianity Matters