Have you ever wondered the scriptural evidence for the claim that Jesus is 100% God and 100% man? Even though it is a mystery as to how this is the case, Scripture is clear Jesus is both God and man. Let’s look at what it has to say.
Jesus is God
There are several Scriptures that tell us Jesus is God. Here are just a few:
- Titus 2:13 says Christians are “looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus.”
- In John 20:28 – Thomas, in speaking of Jesus, cries out, “My Lord and my God!”
- In Hebrews 1:8 God gives a direct testimony of Christ and He says “But of the Son He says, ‘Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever.’”
- In John 1:18 Jesus is called “the only begotten God.”
We also know that Jesus is God because He has all the attributes of God.
- He knows everything (Mt 16:21; Luke 11:17; John 4:29)
- Is everywhere (Matthew 18:20; 28:20; Acts 18:10)
- Has all power (Mt 8:26, 27; 28:18; Jn 11:38-44; Lk 7:14-15; Revelation 1:8)
- Depends on nothing outside of Himself for life (Jn 1:4; 14:6;8:58)
- Rules over everything (Mt 28:18; Rev 19:16; 1:5)
- Never began to exist and never will cease to exist (John 1:1; 8:58)
- Is our Creator (Colossians 1:16).
- In other words, everything that God is, Jesus is. For Jesus is God.
Jesus is Man
Jesus is not only God, but He is man as well.
- John 1:14 says, “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.” Telling us that Jesus is God incarnate.
- 1 John 4:2 and 2 John 7 tell us that anyone who denies Jesus is man is of the spirit of the anti-christ.
We also know that Jesus is man because He possesses the attributes of man.
- He was born as a baby from a human mother (Luke 2:7; Galatians 4:4)
- He became weary (John 4:6), thirsty (John 19:28), and hungry (Matthew 4:2).
- He experienced the full range of human emotions such as marvel (Matt. 8:10), weeping, and sorrow (John 11:35).
- These attributes show that He lived on earth just as we do.
As God incarnate, Jesus did not lose any attributes of His divinity, nor did He lose any attributes of His humanity, so that He was 100% God and 100% Man. It is a mystery as to the exact details of how this worked itself out, but Scripture does give us proof Jesus was both God and Man.
How Can Jesus be both God and Man? You can read this excellent article from Desiring God ministries by clicking here.