“What [characteristics must a pastor possess in order to] be the pastor of a great and growing church that is experiencing a significant spiritual awakening?”
Lewis Drummond proposed and answered that question in his comprehensive biography on Charles Spurgeon. He does so with six answers, which amount to six characteristics of the man God could use to create a significant spiritual awakening. These characteristics were true of Spurgeon and are needed in men today.
Six Characteristics of a Spiritual Awakening Servant of Christ
(1) He must be a Spirit-filled man, who has been saved by God.
(2) He must be a man unencumbered by tradition, who is able to relate to the people he is given watch over.
(3) He must be a disciplined thinker, who studies hard and reads voraciously.
(4) He must have a personality that is warm and outgoing, and he must love people.
(5) He must be sold out for Christ. Evangelism and church planting run thick in his blood.
(6) He must be a man who is given to much prayer.
Question for Reflection
- If you desire to be a minister, are these characteristics true of your life?