I recently put a list of resources together for my church members. It is a list to encourage Christian growth.
- Gospel by JD Greear | Designed to introduce you to a gospel-centered perspective.
- What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert | Short yet informative. Answers the question posed in the title.
- Stop asking Jesus into your heart by JD Greear | Weird title but great book about salvation, repentance, and growth.
- The Transforming Power of the Gospel by Jerry Bridges | How the gospel, not trying harder, changes us.
- Counterfeit God’s by Timothy Keller | Dealing with idolatry from a gospel-centered perspective.
- Living the Cross Centered Life by CJ Mahaney | A short yet challenging read about living for Christ.
- Hard to Believe by John Macarthur | A hard hitting book on following Jesus.
- Who do you think you are? by Mark Driscoll | Deals with identity.
- Work Matters by Tom Nelson | He shows us how to connect Sunday to the rest of the week by answering the question: How can we be a Christian the rest of the week, especially at work?
- Every Good Endeavor by Timothy Keller | A book that connects Christianity to the work place. It is thought provoking and deep, really good.
- I Am A Church Member by Thom Rainer | A short informative book discussing what it means to be a church member.
- What is a Healthy Church Member? by Thabiti Anyabwile | A short informative book from 9 Marks on church membership.
Evangelism and Apologetics
- Show me how to share the gospel by Larry Moyer | A short informative and practical book on evangelism. Walks you through different gospel presentations.
- Questioning Evangelism by Randy Newman | Shows you how to do evangelism through everyday conversation by asking the right questions.
- The Reason for God by Timothy Keller | An apologetic resource helpful when talking to post-modern or modern people.
- Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer | Deals more with the theology of evangelism, but has some practical advice.
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever | A short informative book on evangelism.
Family and Marriage
- Shepherding A Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp | How to discipline your kids from a gospel-centered perspective.
- The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller | An excellent book on marriage. Written for both married couples and singles.
- The Shepherd Leader at Home by Timothy Witmer | Information on how to lead your family well.
- Big Truths for Young Hearts by Bruce Ware | An easy to read and informative systematic theology.
- God’s Big Picture by Vaughn Roberts | A easy to follow overview of Scripture. It answers the question: What is the story of the Bible?
- Basic Christianity by John Stott | A classic book on the Christian faith.
Studying the Bible (Interpretation)
- Living by the book by Howard Hendricks | Provides Bible Study techniques.
- 40 Questions About Interpreting the Bible by Robert Plummer | Answers question about biblical interpretation.
- Timothy Keller – Redeemer Church | New York City
- John MacArthur – Grace Community Church | California
- Mark Driscoll – Mars Hill | Seattle
- John Piper – Retired recently DesiringGod.org
- Alistair Begg – Truthforlife.org
- Matt Chandler – The Village Church | Flower Mound, TX
- Kent Hughes – Preachingtheword.com
- The Briefing – It’s a daily podcast of news from a Christian perspective. You can find it on the iTunes Store or through the Podcast app on your iPhone.
- KCBI 90.9 – Christian radio station out of Dallas, TX.
- christianitymatters.com (My blog)
- Table Talk Magazine by Ligonier Ministries | A devotional magazine exploring important Christian topics and Scripture. It is designed to help you grow in your knowledge of God’s Word.
Question for Reflection
- What resources would you add?
6 thoughts on “Resources for Growing Christians”
Asking for other input can always be a dangerous question!
Crazy Love by Frances Chan
Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
Scarred Faith by Josh Ross
He Loves Me by Wayne Jacobsen
You are very right. I included the resources on the list because I trust them. I have personally read them and feel they are biblically solid. You never know what you will get when you ask for recommendations, especially in the blogosphere. But I thought I would give it a shot to see what others are reading and what they would recommend to growing Christians.
Thanks for your recommendations. I have the first two, never heard of the last two. Will have to look into them.
Point Man – How A Man Can Lead His Family by Steve Farrar
Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow
Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church is a great resource.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have Not a Fan. Pretty good read. I haven’t read the other books you mentioned. I will have to look into them.
Casey, I would have to add “Multiply” by Francis Chan to your list. Great resource to use in discipling. We are currently using it at my church right now.
I will check into that resource. I know I have seen it, but haven’t read it yet.