In Matthew 12:1-21, the Pharisees interaction with Jesus over Sabbath regulations show their moralistic tendencies. Based on their interaction, here are 7 characteristics & beliefs of Moralists.
7 Characteristics & Beliefs of Moralists
(1) Moralists believe they can work their way to God (2; 7).
(2) Moralists believe they are free, but are really in bondage (2; 9-14).
(3) Moralists miss out on the teachings of Jesus and true salvation/rest (11:28-30; 12:18-21).
(4) Moralists are merciless (9-14; 20).
(5) Moralists are selfish (9-14).
(6) Moralists perform because they are forced (2).
(7) Moralists are strongly resistant to change (14).
Question for Reflection
- Are you a Moralist?
Post adapted from my most recent sermon: Rest Not Works