In his epistle, James challenges us to be doers of the Word; to be people who live according to God’s commands (James 1:19-26).
After teaching through this section of James, I have been thinking, if God expects us to live according to His Word, why do some disregard this command? I thought of three responses, but I am sure there are more, so let me know what you think.
Why We Are Not Doers of the Word
(1) We are ignorant of what God’s Word says on a particular issue.
This can be corrected by studying God’s Word. To get the most out of God’s Word we must saturate ourselves in it, which we can do by:
- Reading it
- Studying it
- Singing it
- Hearing it preached
In order to learn as much as possible about God’s Word, it is important Christians be:
- Apart of a church.
- Be committed to attending that church.
- Get together apart from church times to study Scripture.
- Center their conversations around what God is teaching them through their study of God’s Word.
(2) We know the truth, but we are rebelling against God’s Word.
This can be corrected through accountability. It is the job of church members to hold each other accountable, and speak into each others’ lives when they see blatant sin.
Life changing accountability requires:
- Deep community.
- Commitment to one another.
- A strong desire to see God glorified.
Without deep community, commitment, and a strong desire to see God glorified, accountability will not take place.
(3) We are unbelievers who do not see a necessity to live out God’s Word.
This can only be corrected through salvation. Salvation comes through evangelism and the Holy Spirit working on our hearts.
What Are Your Thoughts?
These are three reasons I came up with regarding why we do not live according to God’s commands. After thinking through them and the questions below, let me know your thoughts.
Questions for Reflection
- How do you saturate yourself in God’s Word?
- How often is God’s Word apart of your everyday conversations?
- How much more do you think God would be glorified and your church act as a witness to the community, if you saw accountability as a necessary part of your church body?
- How are you personally attempting to reach people with the gospel in your own circle of influence?