I recently read a Pew Research study reporting on the beliefs and practices of the religious. The results were shocking.
Pew Research Study
Narrowing the results to Evangelical Christians – Not liberals or Catholics or anyone else. Here is what they report:
- 90% of Evangelicals say they believe God exists.
- 79% of Evangelicals say religion in one’s life is very important.
- 78% of Evangelicals say they pray daily.
- 58% of Evangelicals say they attend services once a week.
- But only 36% of Evangelicals believe their religion is the one true faith leading to eternal life.
What Does This Mean?
It means we believe there is a God. We believe religion, prayer, and church matters, but we don’t know why Jesus matters. That’s a problem! If we don’t know why Jesus matters, we don’t really have True Faith. We aren’t really Christians.
What Does Salvation Require?
Salvation requires we recognize Jesus as the only Savior. Faith defined as complete trust and confidence in Jesus as our Savior based on certain fundamental truths found in God’s Word, means we can’t believe there are other ways to God. We either have complete confidence and trust Jesus is the Savior of the world, or we don’t. We can’t have it both ways.
Questions for Reflection
- Do you believe there are multiple ways to God?
- Do you believe Jesus is the only Savior of the world?
Post adapted from my sermon What is True Faith?